Saturday, August 15, 2015

Victorian Tennis Dress, Take Two!

DSC_0580

Since I wore my Victorian tennis dress to Costume College this year, I thought I'd add some new details about it. While I went into a little construction detail, I didn't show how it was put on.

I'm actually taking the dress off in this series of pictures, but it's essentially the same, and much less hectic than getting dressed at Costume College!

DSC_0575 DSC_0572

The bodice fastens with a series of hooks and thread eyes that go diagonally from the right shoulder to the waist closure just to the left of the center front. The collar and bow at the neck close with two hooks and thread eyes. I fastened those last.

DSC_0569 DSC_0565

Just keep going until the waist, where the waistband closes with two hooks and thread eyes.

DSC_0554 DSC_0553

The skirt is very heavy since it's a front overskirt, back overskirt, and fully pleated skirt all on one waistband. After very carefully putting it on over my head, it fastens to two buttons in front.

DSC_0552 DSC_0547

It fastens to four heavy hooks and eyes in back, and then closes at the center back. The back overskirt then fastens over the center back closure, on the left side. I'm holding it out straight, and you can see the hooks on the left.

DSC_0524 DSC_0522

All that's left then is to add the belt (which closes with pins--I never got around to closures!) and the collar.

8 comments:

  1. It suits you so well! I've never undertaken such a complicated closure, but it really looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've done four dresses with similar closures now. They're finally starting to make sense :)

      Delete
  2. I love this costume, and it was really cool to see how the whole thing went together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! When I took it out of the closet and had to actually figure out what was going on with it, I knew I had to take pictures :)

      Delete
  3. This is one of my favorite dresses of yours!! I probably would have drooled on it had I been at coco this year!!!
    Blessings!
    g

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dress and the drape effect of the stripes on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this~ Jealous jealous JEALOUS~!~ LOL

    ReplyDelete