Thursday, August 13, 2015

A 1780s Redingote

DSC_9543

I went into depth on the construction of my redingote here, so this post is really to just show it off a bit! The dress is made of wool from William Booth, Draper, lined with linen from Burnley and Trowbridge, trimmed with silk from Pure Silks, and worn over a petticoat of cotton voile from Pure Silks. I'm wearing it over a shift, stays, petticoat, and split bumroll. My cap is a large circle of satin striped silk chiffon gathered into a band. Looking back, the band could've been a little larger!

DSC_9541 DSC_9549

My hair and makeup was done by Jenny-Rose, who's a true master of getting fussy hair into amazing styles. My attempt at a wig was less than successful, to put it mildly. I made the hairpieces (buckles and a tail) based on the instructions in 18th Century Hair and Wig Styling by Kendra Van Cleave, which is an amazing resource for elaborate 18th century hairstyles. (My wig failure had nothing to do with the book, and everything to do with a very badly executed boil set in which I melted the curls into little dreadlock type things. It looked fine when I removed the rollers, but when I started to tease...)

DSC_9558 DSC_9560

I found that this style truly needed a split bumroll, like the one Aubry of A Fractured Fairytale made. The neck to hem portion of the back didn't really stand out with my regular bumroll. The split emphasized that pleat.

This dress was very comfortable and great fun to wear. I love the more tailored styles of the 18th century!

2 comments:

  1. Just lovely - it looks great, and the combination of colours is very flattering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was so pleased not only to find the wool, but to find I had a perfect small scrap of taffeta left that paired with it perfectly :)

      Delete