Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Tintype Photography Revisited

nonedited-47 VPS Tintype 2


One of the limits you think of with tintype photography is going to the studio. Except, that doesn't have to be--the Victorian Photo Studio can take a tintype of a digital photo. All the things I love about tintypes are evident--the color shifts, the changes in emphasis, the different expressions--and are so obvious because they're copies of photos, not just the closest you can get with a camera while taking a tintype, which a group of friends and I did during our trip in 2017.

Because of the different format, I decided to be creative with my choice of photos. The 1930s Melisandre dress I wore to the 2019 Costume College gala was an obvious choice. It's red silk satin with sequined flames embroidered around the hem, and we were lucky to take pictures at the fire fountain in the outside courtyard at night. Definitely perfect for the dress--and the tintype! I love how the sequins stand out, the flames become suggestions, and the general moodiness of it all.

DSC_4200a VPS Tintype 5


There were so many textures in the pictures I took of my silver and black Game of Thrones handmaiden dress that I wanted to see those in a tintype as well. The dress is black and silver silk taffeta with stenciled lions with beaded and embroidered swirls. The belt is made of Worbla and silver leaf, and I'm wearing cut steel combs in my hair. The picture was taken in late afternoon in mid October, and I like how the light worked to highlight the tintype. The way the tintype picked up my hem is especially interesting--the dust it gathered from being worn to faire is so clear.

DSC_4737 VPS Tintype 6


My embroidered 1830s dress is earlier than tintype photography, but the contrast of the wool tambour embroidery and the background-the Huntington Library in Pasadena--seemed ideal for a tintype anyway. It's so interesting what the technique picks up--my expression is so different. Friends and I always look more serious in the studio tintypes we've done than the modern photographs taken at the same time, but here it's obvious that at least part of that is what the camera decides to pick up and focus on.

DSC_3899 VPS Tintype 3


I chose my black and silver 1830s evening dress for much the same reasons as the day dress--the contrast and location--this time, the Joseph Ambler Inn near Philadelphia. The dress is trimmed with black net with silver spots and I love how much the spots stand out. Meanwhile, my hairpiece with ribbons and silver foliage becomes part of the trees. In all three of these outside pictures, the green becomes so dark. It's amazing how much contrast is lost between me and the backgroud.

DSC_3589VPS Tintype 1


My 1918 plaid silk dress is from a time when many people owned cameras. Still, I thought the plaid and the background of the Great War Gallop hosted by Wearing History would make for a good tintype. This one was reversed as it was taken, so the sign is correct. I like that this tintype picked up the differences in the tones of the dress colors fairly accurately, while the poster behind me looks like it was printed with just one color. This picture really feels like time travelling to me!

nonedited-17 VPS Tintype 7


And one last picture--Alyxx as Crowley joining me at the fire fountain--how perfect! The shadows from the flames in this one are just fantastic.

7 comments:

  1. hello dear, are you still suffering from heart break or you are there you are looking for the fruit of the womb or you are there you have been suffering from HIV/AIDS you do not have time to waste crying all day cause that is a total waste of time all you need to do is to kindly contact Dr. Wealthy in his email address: wealthylovespell@gmail.com and explain everything to him, he will bring a solution to your problem.my dear brothers and sisters i want to tell you all that God have been using this man to bless many people in their numerous problems, what is that thing that is eating you up? you do not have to worry Dr. Wealthy is there to solve your problems today. once more contact him through his email address: wealthylovespell@gmail.com or add him up on WhatsApp +2348105150446

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I Got My Husband back... Am so excited to share my testimony of a spell caster who brought my husband back to me. My husband and I have been married for about 6 years now. We were happily married with two kids, a boy and a girl. 3 months ago, I started to notice some strange behavior from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone else. He started coming home late from work, he hardly cared about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come back home for about 2-3 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the Internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr.Odu adebayo can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted(WhatsApp) him and told him my problems and he told me what to do and I did it and he did a spell for me. 48 hours later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promised never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. My family are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr.odu adebayo If you have any problem contact him and I guarantee you that he will help you. He will not disappoint you. you can WhatsApp him(+2347055287754)or Email him at : poweroflovespell@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MONEY TO BINARY OPTION SCAM OR ANY ONLINE SCAM WHATSOEVER?.DO YOUR DESIRE CREDIT REPAIR[EQUIFAX, EXPERIAN, TRANSUNION? WELL, YOU HAVE FOUND REDEMPTION IN ASORE CORP.
    asorehackcorp@gmail.com

    Asore Corp is a group of multinational Hacker's, an affiliate of Evil Corp. We make sure by all means necessary that our clients get the best of services on a🔐PAYMENT AFTER JOB IS DONE BASIS✅. Rather than send money and trust a criminal to fulfill your deal, you can make sure the job is done before WORKMANSHIP is paid for. You'll get excellent customer service.
    That's a 100% guarantee. Our Cyber security Technicians are on standby 24/7 to receive your job requests.

    ⚠️ BEWARE OF FRAUDSTARS looking to hoax.
    if you have been a VICTIM, visit:
    www.cryptoprecinct.online for directives.
    Here, it's always a win for you.

    🔸OUR SERVICES🔸
    ➡️Binary Option funds recovery
    ➡️Social media hack
    ➡️Recovery of loan scam
    ➡️Credit repair (Equifax,Experian,Transunion)
    ➡️E mail hack
    ➡️College score upgrade
    ➡️Android & iPhone Hack
    ➡️Website design
    ➡️Website hack
    And lots more.

    DISCLAIMER: Asore Cyber Corp accepts no responsibility for any information,previously given to anybody by clients on as regarding the job. Asore Cyber Corp will not distribute contact information collected on any hacking job other than in the Asore corps Hacker's listings themselves, and will not sell contact information to third parties.

    CONTACT INFO:
    www.cryptoprecinct.online
    📧 asorehackcorp@gmail.com
    cyberprecinct@gmail.com

    Copyright ©️
    Asore Cyber Corp 2021.
    All rights reserved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is real take it serious, who will believe that a herb can cure ten
    years HIV in my body, i never believe that this will work i have spend a
    lot when getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, what i was
    waiting for is death because i was broke, one day i hard about this great
    man who is well know of HIV and cancer cure, i decided to email him,
    unknowingly to me that this will be the end of the HIV aids in my body, he
    prepare the herb for me, and give me instruction on how to take it, at the
    end of the two week, he told me to go to the hospital for a check up, and i
    went, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me negative, i thought
    it was a joke, i went to other hospital was also negative, then i took my
    friend who was also HIV positive to the Dr voodoo after the treatment she
    was also confirm negative . He also have the herb to cure cancer please i
    want every one with this virus to be free, that is why am dropping his
    email address, voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com i want you to email him he
    is a great man. the government is also interested in this Dr voodoo
    thank you for saving my life, and I promise I will always testify
    for your good work you can also add him on whatsApp
    +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life has not been easy with me after my marriage was broken when my husband filled for a divorced but I thank God for using LORD ZAKUZA who's like a God on Earth to get my broken marriage restored with his powerful spell. I suffered for depression for 6 months but today, I am so happy for getting to know LORD ZAKUZA for his spell has really made me to believe that of a truth spells are real and they work. I adhered to every bit of instructions given to me by LORD ZAKUZA for he promised me that he will make me happy and proud and really, all that happened and my husband came back to me with his knees on the ground begging me for forgiveness within 48 hours after I got in touch with him and now we are perfectly bonded again for life. I can boldly say to everyone out there that LORD ZAKUZA spells is really the best and most powerful. I'm forever grateful to him till the end of time. So, you can get connected with him via Email: lordzakuza7@gmail.com or his website: https://lordzakuzaspells.com or WhatsApp +1 (740) 573-9483.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Biljana from Romania. I want to testify of a powerful spell caster who returned my ex boyfriend,it all started when i caught him cheating and i confronted him about it, he was angry and stopped talking to me over a month now, From that day he started acting strange then he told me he don't want me anymore , i was so devastated that i cried all day and night, he even blocked me from his Instagram and on phone so i couldn't reach him anymore. This made me sad and cry even more. I was searching for something online when i saw a comment about the good work of Dr Fayosa, i contacted him and told him about my problems and i did everything he asked me to do. According to him after 48hrs my ex will return back to me, well i doubted him though because my ex didn't want to have anything to do with me anymore.The next day, to my greatest surprise he called me and was begging me to give him another chance. Now we are both happy together, All thanks to Dr Fayosa He can also help anyone out there with any problem of this life if only you can text him on Email: Fayosasolusionhome@gmail.com or directly on whatssapp \ Viber +2348151918774

    ReplyDelete
  7. LARRY WIZARD SOFTWARE HACKING GROUP ★
    ★ THE SPECIAL SERVICES THEY OFFER ARE:
    * RECOVERY OF LOST FUND ON ANY CRYPTO WALLET (ATOMIC WALLET, TRUST
    WALLET, META MASK WALLET, EXODUS WALLET, COIN BASE, BLOCKCHAIN,
    BINANCE, ETC)
    * RECOVERY OF LOST FUNDS ON BINARY OPTIONS
    * Credit Cards Loading ( USA Only )
    * BANK Account Loading (USA Banks Only)
    * MOBILE SPY
    * MOBILE MESSAGE HACK ( SNAPCHAT, INSTAGRAM, SMS, VOICEMAIL CALL
    RETRIEVE, SPY ANY CHAT APP, CLONING A MOBILE AND HAVE ACCESS TO SMS
    AND READ IT ANYTIME )
    * TRACK YOUR PARTNER AND GET THEIR LOCATION WITHOUT THEM KNOWING
    * WE HAVE THE BEST TECHNICAL HACKING STRATEGIES WHICH SURPASSES ALL
    OTHER HACKERS

    ★ You can also contact us for other Cyber Attacks And Hijackings, we
    do All Hacking Services ★You can also contact him via
    Email(Larrywizardhacking57@gmail.com),via WhatsAppText:+971551744806

    ReplyDelete