Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Spotty Dresses!

And here we have one of my latest projects--a reproduction of a dress worn by Alexandra, Princess of Wales, and her sister, the Grand Duchess Maria of Russia. My friend Aubry and I made these together for the Costume Con 29 Historic Masquerade. We ended up winning Best in Show Presentation, Best in Class Documentation, and Judges' Choice for Excellence in Design Concept (workmanship). I'll eventually go into this dress in great detail, but for now, our finished dresses!

Spotty Dress--Documentation Spotty Dress--Documentation

Spotty Dress--Documentation spotty_documentation17

Costume Con 29 Costume Con 29

Costume Con 29

Costume Con 29

Why yes, I do want to share an awards picture!

And to see what all this is about, the originals:

The Original Spotty Dress The Original Spotty Dress

The Original Spotty Dress The Original Spotty Dress

7 comments:

  1. Awards all very much deserved! Fantastically lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were amazing, and you both did an excellent job in recreating the originals. I can't wait to read all about the making of them.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever project idea, and so beautifully executed! The tailoring is impeccable. Lovely job, both of you! I look forward to the detailed construction post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, just amazing!!! I am totally impressed. Best recreations I've seen a many a year. Like you both walked right out of the photos....
    Sandra D.
    (friend of Val,San Diego Costumers Guild)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Just stunning. I love the gowns! You look as though you stepped out of the photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, thanks! You're all so sweet.

    I'm going to be making an evening version of this dress as well. I just like it too much to not get more use from it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how fun to see it finished! No wonder you won, you look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete