I finished the striped linen round gown for Under the Redcoat on Friday night. Here are the results!
Yes, it needs to be ironed. However, that's unlikely to happen until Under the Redcoat, so I thought I may as well share now. I think that this is going to be a very fun dress to wear!
There's nothing horribly interesting about the construction. It's linen lined with linen. I made the lining first and then mounted the outer fabric on it and sewed everything into place with spaced backstiches. The sleeves are made the same way as my chocolate francaise, and set essentially the same way, only the shoulder strap covers the top instead of the robing. The skirt was pleated and then set right side to wrong side and sewn in with whipstitches, leaving the top edge raw.
The front panel has ties that wrap around the waist and tie in front, then the bodice is put on and the back skirt overlaps the front.
And as usual, it pins down the front. I love pinning as closures!
My last linen lined with linen dress stretched about four inches, and until now, I really haven't wanted to make another linen lined with linen dress. However, these are very nice linens from Burnley and Trowbridge (the lining is the perfectly lovely--and perfectly firm--cambric linen they had a few years ago), and my last dress wasn't very nice linen, so I think this dress will be fine!