Thursday, April 7, 2011

1866 Geneva Hand Fluter

The dress I'm working on for the historic masquerade at Costume Con has a fluted collar. The logical thing to do? Buy a second fluter on eBay! Why a second? The first is the crank sort, but I don't have the heating rods.

Here's a demonstration of it and a picture of the pleats I made the other night. Those have since been turned into a ruff-like collar :)

The video is probably a little longer than it needs to be. Except for the part where my pot holder gets too hot and I toss it aside, it's awfully repetitive. Still, authentic 1860s sizzling sounds!

1866 Geneva Hand Fluter from Katherine on Vimeo.



Pleats!

And an update--I heated both the top and bottom of my fluter in the oven. A friend heated the top and bottom of hers and the top, well, melted. As in molten metal. I think mine may have been a different material? But be careful!!!

7 comments:

  1. I didn't even know something like this existed! I NEED ONE OF THESE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it awesome? I bought it on eBay, of course. They always seem to have a few listed, so it's just a matter of waiting for the right one.

    Now I want to make tons more things with pleats--I just have to figure out what they are :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already admired the pleater over at LJ! Lovely...and I do like the idea of the "sizzling"!
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!!! But what's the best way to heat the fluter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I'm super late to the party on this post, but i just bought one of these tonight and I can't wait to try it. I'm thankful for your video!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found a Geneva Fluter stamped 1866 in my basement that was my grandmothers. Thanks for the video as I had NO idea what it was used for!

    ReplyDelete