Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Frilled Veil, Part Two

Since I've all but finished the frilled veil to wear with my cotehardie, I thought it was time to complete the tutorial started here.

DSC_7170

Here's the completed veil with a sneak peek of the cotehardie. I'm still planning a deep pink overdress with short sleeves and buttons up the front. I do feel sad to cover this dress though! But onto the veil :)

The first frilled veil I came across while actively searching for something to put on my head was at Medieval Silkwork. I thought I had come up with a veil that was a mix of those that inspired me, but looking at my sources again after wearing it, it's obvious that I was most inspired by hers. It's a lovely veil, and I wanted to make sure to give proper credit to my inspiration!

Frilled Veil 1 Frilled Veil 4

Here's the veil, laid out flat. It's sewn with a running stitch to a large half oval. Both right and wrong sides are shown.

Frilled Veil 2 Frilled Veil 3

And here's a closer view of the same thing. You can see that I only sewed the frill to the veil at the edge of the binding.

Frilled Veil 5 Frilled Veil 6

Now, putting the veil on. You need to start with an appropriate hairstyle. Looped braids were very popular, and I decided to imitate those by wrapping my fake braids into sideways buns. I just wrapped the fake braids around my own very tiny braided buns. I had planned on making a St. Birgitta cap since I didn't think a band would stay put on my apparently fussy head (nothing likes to stay on it), but when trying it on, I found a solution--pin the band to the buns. The band is just a bias strip of linen that I really need to hem before I wear. It's pinned in back, and to the buns. I used green pins so they would stand out. In the picture with the cotehardie, I put my hair in three buns--the two shown and one at the base of my neck. In the pictures here, two. I think that I prefer three to better anchor the band in back.

Frilled Veil 7 Frilled Veil 8

Now, pin the veil to the band. Start with the center, and pin perpendicular to the band. You can see the back of the pin sticking out in back a bit. I'd bury it better if I were actually wearing it. Then, use two more pins to pin the veil at your temples. I find it works best about where I pinned the band to my braids. My pins are from The Norse Gypsy Forge on Etsy.

And that's it! It's really quite a comfortable and secure way to wear a veil.

References:

Research and Thoughts about Frilled Veils at By My Measure (and she has a lovely frilled veil on her Fitting Yourself page

Frilled Veil in Action at Medieval Silkwork

Starched Frilled Veil, at Katalfalk coincidentally the same site I learned honeycomb smocking from.

The Fretwork Veil at Family de Huntington.

LInks to many veils at Larsdatter.com


6 comments:

  1. Hello Princess Leia! :P (heh heh you've never heard that..... ) Lovely veil and pins. The dress is quite amazing too. All those buttons on the sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, never! But it's quite true!

      And thank you! One good thing about the buttons--I needed fewer than I thought! I love the look of the buttons though, so very much worth it :)

      Delete
  2. DanielÄ— BuivydaitÄ—April 16, 2014 at 5:52 AM

    Hi, my name is DanielÄ— and I am from Lithuania, I am 13 years old and I think you are talented! I am your the biggest admirer. (Sorry, I can't write English very well, but i think you are understand me). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! I do understand. And am very impressed with anyone who can communicate in a foreign language!

      Delete
  3. How did you get the crinkled look along the curved edge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used my Victorian fluting iron. Here's my post on it! http://koshka-the-cat.blogspot.com/2011/04/1866-geneva-hand-fluter.html

      Delete